Dual Enrollment

Dual Enrollment

Dual Enrollment allows 9-12th grade students the opportunity to enroll in a college course while still in high school.  Dual Enrollment is most often used when a student runs out of high school class options (i.e. math), to take courses in a particular area of talent (i.e. art), or to get a head start on college credits at a greatly reduced cost.  It is available to students who meet state requirements for dual enrollment eligibility, including meeting specific cut score criteria on the PLAN, PSAT, ACT or MME.  For career and technical dual enrollment, students must also meet specific cut score criteria on the Work Keys Career Readiness Assessment.

Eligibility Guidelines 

In order to receive tuition and fee support at eligible post-secondary institutions located within Michigan, the following course eligibility guidelines must be met:

  1. The course is not offered by the high school, including through Advanced Placement or  International Baccalaureate.
  2. The course is offered but not available because of a scheduling conflict beyond the student’s  control.
  3. The course cannot be in the subject area of hobby, craft, recreation, physical education,  theology, divinity, or religious education.
  4.  Parents must provide an electronic signature on the online application below agreeing to pay for the portion of tuition and fees not paid by West Ottawa Public Schools.

West Ottawa offers Dual Enrollment opportunities at several area colleges and universities, including but not limited to:  Davenport University, Grand Valley State University, Grand Rapids Community College, Hope College, Kendall College of Art and Design, and Muskegon Community College.

  • Grand Rapids Community College and Kendall College of Art and Design offer some courses for Dual Enrollment on the Campus of WOHS.  
  • GRCC courses are offered throughout the day and evening.  Courses that GRCC may offer include: College Algebra, College English, Calculus II, Calculus III, CAD, Health, Business and Psychology.
  • GRCC also has Michigan Transfer agreements with the UofM, MSU, WMU, GVSU, CMU, and most other state and some private schools. 

WOHS Dual Enrollment Application is available below.   Students considering dual enrollment should meet with their school counselor and/or Mrs. Higgs, the WOHS Dual Enrollment Coordinator, if they have questions. Please complete the Dual Enrollment Online Application by the last day of school for the fall dual enrollment term and the first Friday in November for second semester dual enrollment courses.  ALL college specific dual enrollment forms MUST be submitted to Mrs. Higgs by the aforementioned deadlines.  If all required forms are not received by the appropriate deadlines then students will not be allowed to dual enroll.

October 16, 2019 Dual Enrollment Presentation

Dual Enrollment Application

WOHS Dual Enrollment Request Form